September 9th is Grandparents Day. This national holiday provides the opportunity to honor grandparents and remind them how special they are. Here are a few ways that you can celebrate:
- Interview Grandparents – whether your parents are grandparents to your children, or you are lucky enough to have grandparents who are still living, schedule a time, via phone or in-person, to interview them. Hear from them about important life stories, events and people in their lives who have made an impact. Consider recording your interview so that it can become a memorable keepsake.
- Bake them a sweet treat – make a cake or deliver cookies to your grandparents as a symbol of your love for them.
- Create and send a homemade card – spend the time making a unique and thoughtful card and then write a heartfelt note communicating their importance to you.
- Cook them a meal – invite them to your home for a special dinner honoring them and the role they have played as grandparents.
- Ask your children to list off all of the reasons they love visiting their grandparents and create a book for them to showcase what your children look forward to when they spend time together.
- Make a coupon booklet that grandparents can elect to use whenever they choose. Perhaps there’s a coupon for washing the car and another for mowing the lawn. Thoughtful services are a great way to show your love.
- Get together with the grandparents in your life and watch a movie that honors them. Choose from films like Princess Diaries, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or On Golden Pond.
However you choose to celebrate, we hope you find a way to honor grandparents both near and far on September 9th!
Headquartered in Santa Rosa, CA, Oakmont Senior Living is an award-winning developer of premier, resort-style senior communities, with communities throughout California and Nevada. Family owned and operated, Oakmont is recognized for quality of craftsmanship and excellence of amenities and services. Oakmont is dedicated to creating high-quality communities that enhance the world of retirement living and offer peace of mind for families. For more information about Oakmont, visit www.oakmontseniorliving.com.